2013 Halifax IDAHoT Rally
The 2013 International Day Against Homophobia rally was held on Thursday, May 16th at 6 p.m. at Halifax Grand Parade. The theme for 2013’s rally: Our Bodies, Our Health, Our Rights
- MC – Lisa Buchanan, Vice-Chair of NSRAP
- The Raging Grannies
- Kate Shewan addressing trans* rights & SRS
- Lucas Thorne-Humphrey on the gay blood ban
- Gabe Saulnier from the Wabanaki Two Spirit Alliance on the impact of homophobia and transphobia on First Nations communities.
- Jessica Durling – a trans* youth who educated her high school on trans* rights
- Members of the Nova Scotia GSA Network
- Tracey Oakley from Amnesty International will guide our human chain!
The rally will end with a human chain in downtown Halifax showing solidarity, connection and triumph over homophobia and transphobia. Sign language interpretation will be available. RSVP via Facebook.
Want a copy of the poster?
You can download it in PDF format: IDAHoT 2013 Poster
2013 IDAHoT Events Across NS
Various communities across the province marked IDAHoT:
- May 15, 6:30 p.m.: The Valley Youth Project has a drop-in for youth (25 and under) to make some IDAHoT swag. Check out the blog post.
- May 17, Noon: prideHealth and the AIDS Coalition of Nova Scotia present a panel on the health impacts of homophobia/transphobia. More information available via the poster.
- May 17, Noon: PC Rainbow Community Walk in New Glasgow (details).
- May 17, Noon: Pride flag raising in Kentville (source).
- May 17, 5 p.m.: Wolfville IDAHoT rally and flag raising. View the Facebook event for details.
- May 19, 2 p.m.: Sydney will host a march and BBQ. Details courtesy of the Facebook event.